Compliance

EU compliance required text: "This site uses cookies from Google to deliver its services and to analyze traffic. Your IP address and user-agent are shared with Google along with performance and security metrics to ensure quality of service, generate usage statistics, and to detect and address abuse." Visiting this site implies consent with EU cookie laws.

Practice

Bear with us! We're freaking out again because of the weather. And no, not we as in me, personally, but as in the entire island nation. It's really cold! It's really windy! Roads are closed! Domestic flights have been cancelled and cars can't get into/out of parking spots! Snow has invaded the tops of our winter boots and we've lost our woolen mittens! An entire meter of the fluffy stuff has fallen and it's apocalyptic times here in this country named for ice. How will we ever survive? 

Well, since most of us have lived through this kind of thing before it shouldn't be too difficult. And according to my favorite weather site (click on a pic and scroll the timeline to watch the pretty colors change) it will warm up and all the impertinent snow will be turned to sludge by Friday midnight. Phew!

Another sweet thing to do, though, to keep warm here in winter is to experience Hot Yoga with Lana Vogestad who is a talented artist and amazing Barkan Method yoga instructor leading sessions at the World Class chain of gyms here in Reykjavik. They unfortunately don't have a site in English, but here's your chance to practice your Icelandic (that last link is an inside joke: Google Translate is not the definitive Icelandic language resource by any means) by checking out their verðskrá. If intensive, balancing, healing, rewarding, sweaty Practice is your thing, Lana's classes are an absolute must in any season.

Have you tried Dynamic Viewing yet? Five new views in all. Use the blue tab at the top of the view page to check them all out : )

9 comments:

Chrissy said...

Lovely shots! Love the brightness in the architecture mixed with the white snow. Also, so glad you're posting again! xo

Anonymous said...

Nice photos. They make me think of Japanese prints.

I wish we had more brightly colored architecture here to contrast with our snow. I think it's time to side my house in brightly painted corrugated iron!

Iceland Eyes said...

I'm tempted to say thank you for the compliments, but it's so easy to snap a great shot with all these colorful houses sprinkled around town : )

I'm glad, though, that you both appreciate the pictures. I was telling my daughter today that when I look at the whole collage of photos I've taken for Iceland Eyes (like you can do with the Dynamic Viewing mosaic feature http://icelandeyes.blogspot.com/view/mosaic) that color seems to be my dominant theme. There's all these amazing earthtone images of the Icelandic landscape floating around and I seem to always be attracted to the (sometimes tiny) spots of primary color in the world around me.

Like I said, it's super easy to get great "shots that pop" here in midtown Reykjavik as colorful as it is. And that makes me happy : )

Btw, Chrissy, thanks, glad to be back!

Viszlát Sjáumst said...

Hmmm... I'm wondering at whom that Google Translate joke might be aimed?

May or may not be me but not to worry, either way. I've got an e-mail in to orðabók.is looking for assistance with a trial subscription.

Thanks again for the tip (and, of course, the photos)!

Iceland Eyes said...

Hehe, not to worry, Ed. It's not directed at you ; ) GTranslate is a noble effort but if you sauntered around speaking what it offers up you might get locked up in the nuthouse, or at least a lot of annoying looks of pity from the locals.

You'll be up and fluent in no time!

Martin Scherer said...

Enjoying your blog!

I'll be coming to Iceland for a weeks time in May i believe, but I'm having a hard time finding a place to stay since i want some sort of cabin-thingy, and not a hotel in the city.

I prefer being in the wild i guess, especially when it comes to my photography.

Drop me a line if you have any tips and the time?

Have a great weekend,

Martin,
martin@fotura.no

Iceland Eyes said...

Hi Martin.

I'm glad you are enjoying Iceland Eyes!

If you are looking for a summerhouse/cottage to rent, you should definitely go to www.bungalo.is/en/ which specializes in hooking people up with just those kind of accomodations., all over Iceland.

Let me know how it works out for you : )

Jim Miller said...

That is amusing. My Icelandic friends always told me it was the Americans that freaked out about snow and this and that and Icelanders just always took the weather in stride. But admittedly, a meter of snow in Reykjavík is impressive.

Regardless, it may be easy to snap those shots, it is another thing all together to see those shots and compose them the way you did. Very well done.

Lennart said...

Hey I see you're back, great, I feared you really had stopped blogging. Good decision, I always liked your blog, and greetings from a sun-drenched and summery Silicon Valley.

Which is bad because we need rain and plenty of it.